The idea for the Safety Campfire was stumbled upon two years ago whilst on a camping trip with a mate. A few days into the trip the weather became hot and windy, we then learned that a Total Fire Ban had been implemented. Now as far as we were concerned, camping at night without a campfire is almost as tragic as running out of beer. But what could we do?
Sitting and talking in the darkness started to feel weird. Turning on the camp lights felt too sterile and attracted just about every insect in a 2km radius. The situation was becoming dire, was the Total Fire Ban going to mean a quiet, early night?
Sitting around the lifeless black fire-pit something caught my eye. It was the red bucket that we kept filled with water when the campfire was lit, just in case something needed to be put out. I asked my mate to hold my beer and fetched a torch, stood it in the fire-pit and placed the red bucket on top.
Voila! We had a soft red glow and a comfortable amount of soft light. The Mark 1 Safety Campfire was born. As the night wore on people from neighbouring campsites joined us around the 'bucket'. At one point, one of the ladies distracted in conversation leaned forward and stretched out to warm her hands on the 'bucket'.
I realised at that time that if I could make a device that looked like and sounded close enough to a real fire, that 'feeling' of having a campfire could be achieved.
The only thing left to do was fire-up the 3D Printer, bust out the Arduino and electronics and build a prototype! I just never got around to it...
The recent bushfires in my state and learning that campfires cause up to 10% of all Victorian bushfires finally motivated me to take action. The Safety Campfire will not help with what is happening right now but if we move quickly they could be out there for the next fire season.
THE CHALLENGE WE FACE.
Behold the Safety Campfire Mark IV!
This prototype was 3D Printed and is controlled by an Arduino Processor. It was the first self contained and hold all electronics, speakers and power supply within the unit itself.
The purpose of this prototype was not to prove it could be built. The electronics required are off the shelf and 3D Printing is easier than ever these days. The purpose of this unit is to demonstrate how good a Safety Campfire can look and sound.
Follow our social media on the links below to see how the prototype was made and track the progress of the Mark V prototype as it comes together!